Today, GAROP is a network of over 200 members worldwide, united in our work to strengthen and promote the rights of older persons. Our mission is to support and enhance civil society engagement with Member States and National Human Rights Institutions at national, regional and international levels around a convention on the rights of older persons.
An interim Steering Group of organisations (listed below) provides the strategic direction for GAROP’s work, which is supported by a Secretariat Coordinator. See the interim Steering Group Terms of Reference here.
Interim Steering Group
- Andrew Byrnes , University of New South Wales, Sydney
- Emem Omokaro, Dave Omokaro Foundation
- Kate Wedgewood (Co-chair), HelpAge International
- Ken Bluestone (Co-chair), Age International
- Krishna Gautam, Ageing Nepal
- Maciej Kucharczyk, AGE Platform Europe
- Marcus Riley, The Global Ageing Network
- Rosy Pereyra, International Longevity Centre – Dominican Republic
- Silvia Peril-Levin, International Longevity Centre Global Alliance and NGO Committee on Ageing Geneva
- Susan Somers, International Network for the Prevention of Elder Abuse & NGO Committee on Ageing New York
The Global Alliance will reach out to older people in all regions of the world to ensure their voices are heard by UN member states nationally, regionally, through UN institutions, UN Commissions and the UN General Assembly.
The Global Alliance for the Rights of Older People supports the creation of international and regional human rights instruments as powerful tools for strengthening the rights of older people.
The Global Alliance is committed to building national-level capacity to work towards more effective human rights instruments for older people.
The Global Alliance was founded through the collaborative efforts of the following nine organisations – International Network for the Prevention of Elder Abuse; International Longevity Centre – Global Alliance; International Federation on Ageing; International Association of Homes and Services for the Ageing; International Association of Gerontology and Geriatrics; HelpAge International; AGE Platform Europe; Age UK; AARP.